Tuesday 8 October 2013

A Sunday Roast

My dear auntie Mindy, armed with her maps, guidebooks, and "London binder", is quite keen on showing me everything London has to offer and also giving me a real taste of Britain. With my cousin Aaron taking a break from his studies at Cambridge to join us in London on Sunday afternoon, my auntie thought it would be a perfect time to have a traditional Sunday roast at a British pub. After a long day of perusing the markets we ended up at the Marksman pub on Hackney Road (close to the flower market). It was packed but we had a reservation (of course) and sat down with a big pitcher of Pimms cocktail - my drink of choice in the UK.



I had the roasted leg of lamb (other options were beef or pork belly) with the traditional assortment of roasted potatoes, steamed kale & red cabbage, boiled carrots, mashed turnip, and of course, Yorkshire pudding. I've always found phrase "Yorkshire pudding" very misleading and wondered where it got off calling itself a pudding until today when I looked it up in the Collins English Dictionary and realized it is a totally legitimate use of the word pudding:

pudding 
n
1. (Cookery) a sweetened usually cooked dessert made in many forms and of various ingredients, such as flour, milk, and eggs, with fruit, etc.
2. (Cookery) a savoury dish, usually soft and consisting partially of pastry or batter steak-and-kidney pudding
3. (Cookery) the dessert course in a meal
4. (Cookery) a sausage-like mass of seasoned minced meat, oatmeal, etc., stuffed into a prepared skin or bag and boiled

Well, looks like I owe Yorkshire pudding an apology.


This is an incredibly hearty meal to be eating at 2pm in the afternoon but it has that homecooked feel that I love. However, having nibbled all day at the market (and knowing that we had another reservation at a very nice place that same evening) I could only manage about half of this plate. Still, I thought it was quite good and that's coming from an Asian girl who loves her noodles!

DG

No comments:

Post a Comment