Tuesday 5 February 2013

Bibimbap at Yaohan Centre

A few months ago when I found out I'd be spending a few weeks in Vancouver on a business trip the first thing I thought was, naturally, where am I going to eat?? And when I realized we'd be staying in Richmond, I knew the answer to this question was going to be easy: EVERYWHERE. Richmond is not just a glorified Chinatown - it's more like AsiaWORLD! Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Korean...Richmond has it all. The hotel we're staying at is right next to this mall, the Yaohan Centre, and everyone knows the great thing about malls are their food courts. We checked it out for dinner tonight and I ordered the Bibimbap from Seoul Express. Bibimbap is a Korean dish that literally means "mixed rice" with the "mix" being sauteed vegetables, sliced meat (typically beef), chili paste and egg. It's served in a very hot stone bowl so that the egg cooks as you mix all the ingredients together and the rice on the bottom gets a little crispy. 


Korean dishes are usually served with an assortment of small side dishes (banchan). I chose the glazed potatoes (gamja jorim), marinated bean sprouts and a staple of Korean cuisine - kimchi!



If that bowl wasn't still burning hot I probably would have licked it clean. Oh Richmond, you and I are going to be friends. 

DG

No comments:

Post a Comment