Sunday 13 January 2013

Saigon Jon's Vietnamese Kitchen

If I had to describe Vietnamese cuisine in two words they would be fresh and flavourful. Vietnamese food gets its light, fresh taste from its use of fresh vegetables and herbs and every bite is always packed full of flavour - salty, sweet, sour, spicy...it has it all. I've been wanting to check out Saigon Jon's (www.saigonjons.com) for a while because I love the idea of Vietnamese food for the masses where instead of ordering a number on a menu you get to customize your meal by selecting from a variety of meats (or vegan option) and then choose to have it in a sandwich, salad or noodle bowl. While there are many fantastic Vietnamese restaurants in Winnipeg, Saigon Jon's setup makes ordering fast, simple and unique albeit slightly less authentic. I ordered the Banh Mi (Vietnamese sub sandwich) with lemongrass steak and Thai basil aoili. It was delicious! I loved the lemongrass marinade on the steak and the sandwich had all the right toppings I just wish there was more of 'em, especially the cilantro because I am a cilantro fiend. 


If only it wasn't so far away! I'm going to have to start finding reasons to drive down Pembina Highway more often. 

DG

No comments:

Post a Comment