Wednesday 10 October 2012

Nasi Campur

It's our last day in Indonesia and we are back in Bali - this is very upsetting to me because I was just starting to discover some of my favorite local dishes. Nasi campur (which means "mixed rice" in Indonesian) is one of my them - the name is self-explanatory as it is essentially rice with an assortment of vegetables and meats or tofu. It's right up my alley because I can never decide what to order and this way I don't have to! The version I had last night was vegetarian and it came with pickled vegetables, tofu curry, Balinese salad, potato patties, sweet tempeh and rice crackers. 


My favorite part is the tempeh which is a soybean patty, fried or grilled, and served in a variety of ways but commonly chopped up into little pieces as above (between the rice crackers and the potato patties). I also tried the satay tempeh (grilled and topped with peanut sauce) as seen below. I was introduced to tempeh at the night market on Gili Trawangan and I just love it - it can be a bit spicy but its crunchy texture is so satisfying. 


I love it and I'm going to miss it so much. When I get home I'm going to hide tempeh recipes in my mom's Chinese cookbooks and hope she takes the hint. 

DG


No comments:

Post a Comment