Friday 12 October 2012

Prata

Just spent a busy 2 days, 1 night in Singapore and I felt like I was on an episode of the Amazing (Food) Race! I was able to catch up with a few old friends on our first day including kaya toast, Yong Tau Fou, and prata.  A roti prata (roti means "bread" and prata means "flat") is the Singaporean spin-off of an Indian flatbread that more closely resembles a crepe because it is rolled out super thin and can be filled with either eggs, cheese, onion, mushrooms, etc. There is also a sweet variety such as the chocolate and banana prata. 


Once the filling is added the dough is folded over and fried on both sides so it is a little bit crispy. My favorite is the egg & cheese prata because it is more savoury than the plain version but doesn't take away from the delicious taste and texture of the prata dough itself. It is served with a little bowl of curry sauce for dipping. 


There was a great little prata place close to my old apartment in Singapore and my roommate Cara and I tried to convince the owner to move to Winnipeg and open up a restaurant. Although he did add Cara as a friend on Facebook, we're still waiting on that prata place. 

DG

1 comment: